Of course before switching to all-natural products, we used dryer sheets, so static in the laundry was never really an issue. But now that I know the dangers of dryer sheet. I’ve had to resort to more natural ways to get rid of static cling.
What dangers are we talking about? Here are just some of the chemicals inside fabric softeners and what they’ve been linked to:
- Benzyl acetate: Linked to pancreatic cancer
- Benzyl Alcohol: Upper respiratory tract irritant
- Ethanol: On the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) Hazardous Waste list and can cause central nervous system disorders
- A-Terpineol: Can cause respiratory problems, including fatal edema, and central nervous system damage
- Ethyl Acetate: A narcotic on the EPA’s Hazardous Waste list
- Camphor: Causes central nervous system disorders
- Chloroform: Neurotoxic, anesthetic and carcinogenic
- Linalool: A narcotic that causes central nervous system disorder
- Pentane: A chemical known to be harmful if inhaled
I love my dryer balls. Which are made of felted wool they are toss in the dryer along with my laundry. They help speed up drying time as well as reducing static.
ADDING ESSENTIAL OILS TO DRYER BALLS
Who doesn’t love their clothes to smell? I add 3-4 drops of my favorite essential oils to each dryer ball. This usually lasts 2-4 loads before I have to add more! Here’s a few essential oil recommendations; it’s fun creating combinations that make your clothes smell so wonderful:
- Lavender and Orange.
- Purification and Tea Tree. Great when cleaning sheets during the immune boosting season.
- Orange and Stress Away. Smells like a dreamsicle.
- Jade Lemon
- Peppermint and Ylang-Ylang for sheets and towels
HOMEMADE NATURAL ANTI STATIC SPRAY INGREDIENTS
- Add organic which hazel in a small spray bottle
- add 5 drops of lavender essential oil (EO of choice)
- Spray on static clothes and voila!