I used to be a complete candle-scenty addict but I have done away with all of them since fall of 2013. Once my oil journey begin I started to turn to more natural remedies and began detoxifying our home.
Diffusing essential oils became a very important routine in my household. It not only makes my home smell nice, but the essential oils can provide many wellness benefits. I want mention how many diffusers we have in the house, I might have lost count :).
I never use candle warmers or anything of that nature to heat my essential oils up. Doing so will breaks down the chemical make up of the oils, which basically takes away the healing properties. Now, with that said, you can find recipes to make your own homemade wax with essential oils added to them but you will just be enjoying the scent. Same goes with using essential oils while you cook, it is strictly for flavor, not any therapeutic value.
If you are new to essential oils, there’s no better way to get to know them than through your diffuser. That is how I started.
So you ask “Why completely give up scented candles? ” I have never been one to complain about any scents giving me headaches but soon after “my lifestyle change” I noticed I began to react to scents. So I began to dig around and discovered these candles have nasty secrets.
What is really in a candle?
Though they seem safe, regular scented candles are a huge source of indoor air pollution and they put off chemicals that are considered just as dangerous as second-hand smoke. Paraffin is a petroleum waste product and has to be deodorized and chemically bleached before it can be made in to wax. (Source)
Most candles are made of paraffin wax, which creates highly toxic benzene and toluene when burned (a substance capable of causing cancer in living tissue). In fact, the toxins released from paraffin candles are the same as those found in diesel fuel fumes. SCARY I KNOW!
On top of that, many scented candles also have wicks that contain heavy metals like lead and even a few hours of burning them can create levels of airborne heavy metals that are much higher than the acceptable limits. In the US, candle wicks are supposed to be made of cotton or paper, but studies have found that as much as 30% of candles contain heavy metals in the wicks.
“A candle with a lead-core wick releases five times the amount of lead considered hazardous for children and exceeds EPA pollution standards for outdoor air, says the CPSC, which is why they banned lead wicks in 2003. Exposure to high amounts of lead has been linked to hormone disruption, behavioral problems, learning disabilities, and numerous health problems.” (source)
Let’s not forget about the artificial scents and dyes, which release additional chemicals when burned in candles.
Oh and what about the soot from a candle…..Petro-soot from paraffin candles gives off the same soot as the exhaust of a diesel engine, and is considered just as dangerous as second hand smoke, causing problems from headaches to lung cancer. Paraffin fumes have been found to cause tumors in the kidneys and liver of lab animals.
It is reading facts like above that make me so thankful to have Young Living Essential Oils in my families life. Thankfully, I found some great alternatives…